1. Employment Info and Insight
"Master a trade, and God will provide."
Midrash (Jewish Book of Biblical Interpretation)
“Interview Coming Up?
Focus on the 3
[ click here ]
Model Letter: “Thank You
with Follow Up
[ click here ]
i. The Employment Relation
- NL 1: “What is Joint Employer Liability?” Many Workers Have Two Employers, But Don’t Know It
- QA 1: “Does an independent contractor have a duty of loyalty?”
- QA 2: “How should an employer treat an employee who works for a competitor?”
- QA 3: “My new job is not the promised job. What do I do?”
- QA 4: “What should I expect after ‘re-badging?'”
- QA 5: Employee or Contractor: Do I Have a Choice?
- QA 6: Employment Living Restrictions: Must they be uniformly applied?
- QA 7: “Can I get fired for refusing to work on the weekends?”
- QA 8: “If I’m ‘at will’ and therefore can leave my job whenever I want to, what effect does that have on an agreement I signed that I would repay monies if I left before 12 months?”
- QA 9: “Is it a conflict of interest if I work in the same place as my son, and I cover a shift for him?
ii. Employee Rights
- NL 1: Military? – Special Civilian Job Rights are Yours
- NL 2: Want to See Your HR File? Here’s How
- NL 3: “Who Owns The ‘Creative Things’ You Produce At Work?”
- QA 1: “Can I trust Human Resources to keep things confidential?”
- QA 2: “Do employees have a right of free speech?”
- QA 3: “Does federal law give me a right to send out resumes while working for my employer?”
- QA 4: “Injured while skiing at a Company Conference – Am I Eligible for Workers’ Compensation? What should I do?”
- QA 5: “Two questions about what happens when an employer declares bankruptcy – one from Oregon (U.S.), one from Ontario (Canada)”
- QA 6: “Do employees have a ‘Right to Quit’?”
- QA 7: “Do I have any recourse if my job responsibilities, and income, are taken from me without notice?”
- QA 8: “Does a former employee have a legal right to see her former employer’s Employee Handbook?”
- QA 9: “How long do employers have to retain personnel records to make them available to ex-employees in Massachusetts?”
iii. Can my employer do that . . .?
- NL 1: Is it RIGHT to do THAT? Ethics Clarified by Six Questions
- QA 1: “Can an employer dictate who an employee can and can’t speak with?”
- QA 2: “Can my employer refuse to let me resign?”
- QA 3: “Can my employer simply reduce compensation promised in my offer letter?”
- QA 4: “Can taking time off without permission get you fired?”
- QA 5: “Is it an invasion of privacy if incidents involving employees are reported company-wide, including employees’ names?”
- QA 6: “Is it discrimination when a boss favors an employee he is dating?”
- QA 7: “Is there a limit to how many hours I can be required to work?”
- QA 8: “Is there a problem giving a returning employee his former ID number?”
- QA 9: “Marijuana Legalization: Does it bring new issues into the Workplace?”
- QA 10: “Two Jobs Combined into One: Is that Legal?”
- QA 11: “Why is it acceptable to expect someone to work 60 to 70 hours a week?”
- QA 12: “Can an employer require that you state your intentions about whether you will stay with the company?”
- QA 13: “Can an employer require you get its prior approval for a side job or a side business?”
- QA 14: “Can I be forced to take a flu shot or lose my hospital job?”
- QA 15: “Can my employer change its attendance policy any way it wants to?”
- QA 16: “Can my former employer claim to be the author of a magazine article I wrote as part my duties?”
iv. Negotiation / Legal Stuff
- NL 1: Hey, It’s January: Time to Prepare Your Yearly “QVPTM Plan” [Part One of Two]
- NL 2: Hey, It’s January: Time to Prepare Your 2005 Yearly “QVP™ Plan” [Second of Two Parts]
- QA 1: “How can I convince an employer to hire me who believes it would be too risky?”
- QA 2: “Should a young professional who likes his job change jobs for 50% more pay?”
- QA 3: Which Labor Law – State or Federal – Applies?
v. General Observations
- NL 1: “Chief Continuity Officer” – Titles Reflect the Times, and So Much More
- NL 2: Will Wall Street Careers Ever Again Seem as Attractive as Billions in Bonuses “Evaporate?”
- NL 3: “Employers Seek Job Candidates with Empathy – A Critical, Yet Scarce, Attribute”
- NL 4: “Going to Be a Change Agent? – Get a Clear and Strong Mandate First.”
- QA 1: “How can I do my job if management does not do theirs?”
- QA 2: Where can I find “niches” to further my career?
- QA 3: “Can you suggest my next career step and the next ‘hot’ industry?”
- QA 4: “I have a question about your recent post about New Jersey employees’ rights to copy company documents without being fired for it in retaliation.”
- WD 1: Fiduciary – Key Words & Phrases
Don't Want to Read?
[ click here ]
On All We Offer
[ click here ]
“If you live your life the right way,
your later years will not be a winter,
but rather a harvest.”