44. Fired, Downsized or Laid Off
"Get to know God in prosperity
so God will know you in adversity."
i. "Cause" for Firing
- NL 1: “Cause” for Firing – What Exactly is It?
- NL 2: Confidentiality and Non-Disclosure Duties – The Four “Situational Exceptions”
- NL 3: Did You Know That . . . Recording Calls or Meetings Can Get You Fired
- QA 1: “Can having a business website ‘on the side’ be reason for termination?”
- QA 2: “If I am terminated for cause, can accumulated leave time and comp time be denied me?”
- QA 3: “Is stating that I would not stay in a building on fire grounds for termination?”
- QA 4: “Must I give a tape recording to my boss?”
- QA 5: “What is ‘after-acquired cause’ for firing?”
- QA 6: “With no anti-texting policy, can I be fired for texting?”
- QA 7: “Can an employee be fired for giving notice (of resignation)?”
- QA 8: “Can I be fired for being ‘insubordinate’ when I am not even working?”
- QA 9: “Is it fair to fire someone for re-sending to others unsolicited, offensive emails?”
- QA 10: “Is there an agreed definition of ‘insubordination’?”
- QA 11: Being Out Sick: Can I Be Fired for That, or During That?
- QA 12: Did You Know That . . . Recording Calls or Meetings Can Get You Fired
- QA 13: Eavesdropping on the Boss: Is it “Cause” to Fire Me?
- QA 14: Terminated for Unpaid Parking Ticket – Is That Possible?
- QA 15: “Can I get fired for refusing to work on the weekends?”
ii. What to Do Before . . .
- NL 1: Here’s What to Do if You’re Laid Off . . . or Think You Will Soon Be
- NL 2: Hey, It’s August . . . We Call This “Protect Your ‘Rolodex’ Month”
- NL 3: Letter of Education – Key Words & Phrases
- NL 4: Make a “Go File” . . . Pleeeeeze
- QA 1: I might be laid off. Should I raise concerns about discrimination now, before it happens?
- QA 2: Letter of Education – Key Words & Phrases
- QA 3: Rumor I might be fired. What should I do?
- QA 4: “Subsidized COBRA in Severance – What’s that?”
iii. What to Do After . . .
- NL 1: “Thinking of Your Own Small Business? – Four Paths to Pursue”
- NL 2: The Increasing Use of “Institutional Leverage” In Resolving Workplace Disputes
- QA 1: “Fired for being overheard speaking to a colleague; anything I can do?”
- QA 2: “Fired for false accusation. What can I do?”
- QA 3: “I was laid off in a large reduction in workforce. The decision to choose me for layoff doesn’t make sense. Is it too late to ask for the reason they chose me? Who should I ask?”
- QA 4: “If laid off and offered a lower job, will declining it result in losing severance or unemployment benefits?”
- QA 5: “Laid off. I confirmed my receipt of the Layoff Documents. Did I Goof?”
- QA 6: “Fired for Unknown Misconduct – Any Recourse?”
- QA 7: “If it hasn’t yet been accepted, can a severance offer be changed, or withdrawn?”
- QA 8: Fired, without Notice; What can I do?
- QA 9: I was supposedly “downsized,” but found out I was replaced. Any recourse?
- QA 10: Must employers provide a reason for terminating an employee?
- QA 11: Should I persist in asking WHY I was terminated?
iv. Is that Legal?
- QA 1: “Can the Board Hire one of its Members, and Lie about It?”
- QA 2: “I was laid off from my job, but then I received a letter that said I resigned. Are my unemployment insurance benefits at risk?”
- QA 3: Fired a Week AFTER I Quit? – Is That Legal?
- QA 4: Fired, but Not Told: Is that Legal?
- QA 5: Is it legal to lay off both husband and wife if they both work for the same employer?
- NL 1: “18 Tips to Address Job-Loss Anxiety and Blues”
- NL 2: Job Loss Rebound – How to Do It “A.S.A.P.”
- QA 1: “Do I have a Right to Know the Reason I was Let Go?”
- QA 2: “Is there ‘life’ beyond a horrible firing?”
- QA 3: “Must an employer offer new jobs to people recently laid off?”
- QA 4: Fired from Two Local Government Jobs: Any Way to Combat Possible Political Influence?
- QA 5: Laid Off for a “Phony” Reason; Might it Be Discrimination?
- QA 6: “Fired after I resigned; will it affect my open job offer?”
“If you live your life the right way,
your later years will not be a winter,
but rather a harvest.”