44. Resigning from Your Job
"No matter how far you have gone down the wrong road, turn back."
i. Reasons For Resigning
- QA 1: “Resigned and relocated for my daughter’s health; seem plausible?”
- QA 2: “How can you resign from a job in both silence and good conscience, if it means that people in need will only remain in greater need?”
- QA 3: “Resign or Be Terminated. What should I do?”
- QA 4: Forced to Leave: How Should I Do It?
- QA 5: Should I Resign to Avoid Possible Termination?
- QA 6: “Is it wise to resign because promotion was denied, and without a new job?”
ii. Before Resigning
- NL 1: “Hey it’s October . . . It’s Time to Re-THINK Your Resume”
- NL 2: Don’t Be Fooled by the “May – Shall” Trick
- NL 3: FMLA – Great Tool to E-x-t-e-n-d Employment
- NL 4: Hey, It’s August . . . We Call This “Protect Your ‘Rolodex’ Month”
- NL 5: In Job Transitions, Focus On “The Three T’s Of Transition”
- NL 6: Resigning From Your Job – The 21 Necessary Precautions
- NL 7: “Need a Work Document from HR? Afraid to Ask? – Here’s How”
- QA 1: “Any suggestions for timing of two spouses’ resignations?”
- QA 2: “Can a resignation be made effective on a later date that avoids a repayment obligation?”
- QA 3: “Compensation lowered; can I resign and collect Unemployment Benefits?”
- QA 4: “Due to anxiety attacks, I am on FMLA leave; will I be fired when I return?”
- QA 5: “Give 90 days resignation notice or repay bonuses – Is that legal?”
- QA 6: “If my boss tells me to find a new job, and I find one, do I lose my severance?”
- QA 7: “Should I file a complaint with HR, or just resign?”
- QA 8: “Who is your next employer? – How should I respond?”
- QA 9: “Small Firm Employee: Will They Take My Leaving “Personally?”
- QA 10: I gave 30 days’ notice; my boss wants that to be 30 work days. Who is right?
iii. What am I Entitled To?
- NL 1: If you leave your job, “L.E.A.V.E.” is how you spell “Must-Take Checklist.”
- QA 1: “Can my boss make me sign a letter saying I left voluntarily in return for a letter of recommendation?”
- QA 2: “I resigned under unusual circumstances – did I just throw away any chance for unemployment compensation?”
- QA 3: “If I give notice, but am told ‘leave now,’ do I get paid?”
- QA 4: “If I resign after 9 months of the year, how can I still get my yearly bonus?”
- QA 5: “If I resign will I still get my retirement money I put in?”
- QA 6: “Resigned due to stress, overwork and burn out. Can I get unemployment?”
- QA 7: “Can I be forced to sign a ‘voluntary’ resignation form to get my severance?”
- QA 8: “If I am fired for harassment, can I collect unemployment?”
- QA 9: “If I give in my notice of resignation, effective in two weeks, and bonuses are due in one week, can I lose my bonus?”
- QA 10: “Is it OK to give notice of resignation BEFORE I fully vest in my 401k?”
- QA 11: “What are the ramifications of being terminated, as opposed to resigning?”
- QA 12: If I resign, can I collect for accrued but unpaid vacation?
- QA 13: Vacation Pay Accrued – Is It Paid to Me If I Resign?
iv. How and When to Resign
- NL 1: “Should I tell my family-business employer I am looking for a new job?”
- NL 2: Resigning From Your Job – The 21 Necessary Precautions
- QA 1: “18 non-volatile reasons to offer a bully boss when resigning”
- QA 2: “Can I be on ‘Garden Leave’ and reemployed elsewhere at the same time?”
- QA 3: “How can I best resign to a very good boss?”
- QA 4: “How should I tell my mentor and HR I want to resign after one month?”
- QA 5: “In South Africa, can I give less than one month notice?”
- QA 6: “On FMLA. Don’t want to return, but want unvested stock. What can I do?”
- QA 7: “Should I tell my family-business employer I am looking for a new job?”
- QA 8: “Use ‘The Three D’s’ when resigning from a good job.”
- QA 9: “Can a wife resign her husband out of his job?”
- QA 10: “Can I ‘adjust’ what my employer deems ‘two weeks notice’?”
- QA 11: “How might I resign, and get the balance of my employment contract paid out to me?”
- QA 12: “If I give in my notice of resignation, effective in two weeks, and bonuses are due in one week, can I lose my bonus?”
- QA 13: “If I give two weeks’ notice, can I use my earned vacation time as part of that two weeks?”
- QA 14: “Is it OK to give notice of resignation BEFORE I fully vest in my 401k?”
- QA 15: “Need Simple Resignation Letter – Can You Provide One?”
- QA 16: “Questions about Timing of Resignation”
- QA 17: “When resigning, must I work one day extra if requested by my employer?”
- QA 18: “Will I be looked down upon in the business world if I give less than the 90 days of notice required by our employee handbook?”
v. After Resigning
- NL 1: Garden Leave . . . Is Negotiable
- NL 2: If You Leave Your Job, Can You Take Your Customers With You?
- NL 3: Resigning From Your Job – The 21 Necessary Precautions
- QA 1: “After resigning, must I ‘close out’ a Performance Improvement Plan?”
- QA 2: “Can an employee rescind a resignation?”
- QA 3: “My Former Employer Keeps Telling Clients I’m Still Employed – What Should I Do?”
- QA 4: “After I’ve resigned, can my employer fire me before the last date I told them I would work?”
- QA 5: “Can an employee be fired for giving notice (of resignation)?”
- QA 6: “How do I resign and still get unemployment benefits?”
- QA 7: “Will I be looked down upon in the business world if I give less than the 90 days of notice required by our employee handbook?”
- QA 8: Any ways to get satisfaction after resigning?
- QA 9: Does a conflict of interest continue after you have resigned?
- QA 10: “How should I respond to a request for an Exit Interview?”
- NL 1: “Garden Leave’s Little Secret: It is Not Very Enforceable”
- NL 2: “Thinking of Your Own Small Business? – Four Paths to Pursue”
- NL 3: Did You Hear? It Seems More Employees are Quitting Their Jobs
- NL 4: Illegal Workplace Discrimination? Here’s How to Tell
- QA 1: “Can my employer refuse to let me resign?”
- QA 2: “Can an employer delay accepting an employee’s resignation?”
- QA 3: “How can you resign from a job in both silence and good conscience, if it means that people in need will only remain in greater need?”
- QA 4: “I have a good working relation with my employer. If I collect my bonus, and then resign, will I jeopardize my reputation and the respect I have earned?”
- QA 5: “I resigned for fear of my boss; can I withdraw it?”
- QA 6: “If I resigned effective January 31, but was then laid off on January 11, do I have any legal options?”
- QA 7: “My boss told my colleagues I resigned, which is false. He then sent me home. What should I do?”
- QA 8: “What are the ramifications of being terminated, as opposed to resigning?”
- QA 9: “When an agreement ‘expires’ on a certain date, do you have to also give ‘notice’ of leaving?”
- QA 10: Forged resignation . . . What should I do?
- QA 11: My daughter gave “Notice,” then got sick, and can’t go back to finish her notice period. Is that going to be a problem?
- QA 12: “Can I decline a job offer I already accepted without ‘burning bridges?‘”
- QA 13: “Do employees have a ‘Right to Quit’?”
“If you live your life the right way,
your later years will not be a winter,
but rather a harvest.”